Thursday, August 30, 2012

Team Member Profile: Hugh Balboni - Tarpon Springs Triathlon


Team Hope For The Warriors® Profile:  Hugh Balboni

Team Hope For The Warriors® Member Since: 2012

2012 Footprints

*     Suncoast Classic Run for Kids 10K: 1:07:17, 7th Place in Age Group (February 2)
*     Madeira Beach Mad Dog Sprint Triathlon: 2:12:30, 2nd Place in Age Group (May 20)
*     Escape From Ft. DeSoto Sprint Triathlon: 1:47:49, 2nd Place in Age group (April 14)

Hugh in Team Hope For The Warriors® gear crossing the finish line at the Madeira Beach Mad Dog Triathlon on May 20, 2012 

Have You Always Been A Runner?

“Like many adults who begin running or exercise programs, I was trying to avoid obesity and improve cardiovascular health.  I graduated from high school in 1956 at 5’6” and over 200 pounds.  The Army experience got me down to 180 lbs, but I found it a struggle to maintain that level in the civilian world.  By 1969 when our second child was born my weight was edging up while my cardiovascular capacity was heading down.  Probably my biggest incentive to exercise was the vivid childhood memory of my Dad, lying in bed, immobilized by a heart attack before his 30th birthday.   He recovered and lived an active life, but the experience motivated me to stay active my whole life.  I intended to be healthy enough help raise our children and play with our grandchildren.”

“I began running in 1969 by alternately running and walking the distance from one telephone pole to another.  The best I could do at the time.  Eventually, I was able to run past enough telephone poles to cover a mile which then stretched into 5K, 10K, half-marathons and even triathlons.  Forty three years later, I am still running, swimming, biking and more importantly, playing with our grandchildren.”

What Made You Become Part Of Team Hope For The Warriors ®?

“It is my desire to do something special to commemorate the year of my 75th birthday, something that will hopefully make a difference.  So, I have set a goal of completing several running and triathlon events during the year in support of those brave individuals wounded in service to our country.  I am competing as a member of Team Hope for the Warriors® and hopefully will bring attention to and raise some money for these most worthy individuals.”

What Events Are You Participating In This Fall?

“I plan to participate in the Tarpon Springs Triathlon on September 8th, the FD3 Fort DeSoto Triathlon on September 29th, and the Longleaf Triathlon on October 14th.”

Hugh at the Madeira Beach Maddog Triathlon on May 20, 2012






No comments:

Post a Comment