Thursday, February 14, 2013

CommunityTeam Member Highlight : Jon Watras




Jon, pictured in center, celebrating with friends. 

Hometown?  Born and raised in Garden City, New York”

Occupation: Finance, Strategy and Corporate development


2012 Footprints


NFL Kickoff
Ted Corbitt 15k
Garden City Turkey Trot


What Races Are On Your Radar For 2013?


Manhattan half marathon -Completed
NYC Half Marathon
Scotland Run
American Heart Association Wall Street Run
Tough Mudder

 How Did You Hear About Hope For The Warriors®? 

 I heard of Hope For The Warriors® from my close friend who is a New York City Firefighter and has run with the Team before.”

 What Inspired You To Join Team Hope For The Warriors®? 

 I had seen the Team at the Tunnel to Towers 5K New York City Run, and there saw the impact the Team had in terms of fundraising and motivating those running.  I also wanted to associate myself with a great organization to raise money for and to keep me motivated in my training. You realize there are people that make a choice and a sacrifice to defend this great country, and how it important it is to look after them when they need us the most.  It was an amazing feeling to watch my donation goal met in 20 minutes when I sent one email and Facebook message.  I know I still have work to do, and am motivated every day to meet and beat my goals.”

What Has Been Your Favorite Race You Have Ever Ran? Why?

 “Tunnel to Towers 2012.  What did it for me was in the tunnel, running alongside wounded warriors, who ran like they had no injury or handicap, and the reaction from the other runners.  The “USA” chants echoed through the tunnel, and I still get chills thinking about that moment where you get out of the tunnel and run through the firefighters and police officers on both sides holding photos of those lost in 9/11.  You realize you are running to honor a man who ran that path to save the lives of others, losing him in the process.  For me, it put a lot of things into perspective, how fragile life is and how important it is not to waste time, and to help others.”

 What Is Your Favorite Thing About Being On The Team So Far?  

“The Team itself has just been so positive with me in terms of email correspondence, keeping me motivated, as well as making me really feel part of the team.  Pride has been instilled, and it really makes me work hard in my training so that I can race to the best of my ability.”

 Have You Always Been A Runner? Who Or What Inspires You To Run?

 “I played football in college for 2 years, and never considered myself a runner. I have lost over 90lbs since last year.  I had to make life changes because I wasn’t happy and did not want to have health issues. It was from my friends and family having the courage to tell me that I needed to lose weight that I finally looked at myself and realized I could do it.  Went on a strict diet, saw a nutritionist, and watched the weight fall off.   I would have to say my sister motivated me to run, she got me on couch to 5k and I trained for my first 5k.  It was during that run, that I wanted to quit, and just walk, and then I saw a man running with crutches and a prosthetic.  I realized then and there, that I did not have it bad, and removed words like quit and can’t from my vocabulary.  I went from a 5k to a 10k, to a 15k to my first half-marathon last week. I am inspired by the progress I have made with my personal weight loss goals, and the feeling I get after I complete a race.  I have to say it’s a great feeling when people tell me how great I look as I continue to lose weight, but it’s important I stay grounded as I still have not reached my goal and want to avoid becoming complacent.”

What Song On Your Running Playlist Do You Have On Repeat Right Now?

 “Alter Bridge- Metalingus.  While I listen to pretty much anything, this one song gets me absolutely fired up, and is my go to on the Nike run app when I need a pick me up.”

 What Motivates You During Your Long Runs?

 “Times and distance are clearly important as you can keep beating goals.  I also keep my before photo, to remind myself of where I have progressed, and how these runs keep me from going backward.”



 

No comments:

Post a Comment