Thursday, January 31, 2013

Warrior Team Member Highlight: Dean Suthard

Dean competing in the Rock 'N' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon

Team Member Since: 2010

Hometown: Stafford, VA
2012 Team Footprints

Rock ‘N’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon
Tunnel To Towers 5K – NYC

Have You Participated In Any Races in 2013 yet?

“I participated in the Locomotive Half Marathon in Kennesaw, GA and in the Hot Chocolate 15k in Atlanta, GA. When I participated in the Hot Chocolate 15k race in Atlanta, there were people on the course who had never seen a handcycle.  There were only three of us out there.  A lot of the time people don’t see us, depending on if the race has the handcycles start at the beginning of the race or at the end of the race.  But once they do see us, they get interested and start asking questions.  People get interested because I “run with my arms” and it gets them asking questions.  They see that you are out there and doing this and it’s amazing.  It inspires them.  During this race , the run director for the Peachtree Road Race, an annual 6.2 mile run in Georgia that takes place on the 4th of July, saw me and personally invited me to the event. He also waived the registration fee.  He said that they were going to open up the course to handcyclists for the first time and he wanted me to be there.”

What Are Your Hobbies?

“Handcycling and woodworking.  I give anything a try when it comes to woodworking!”

 What Inspired You To Serve In The United States Marine Corps?
“I didn’t know anyone in the military when I grew up. What inspired me was an identity crisis I had while growing up.  I hung out with people who had a lot of money, while I didn’t.  I thought that my best option to succeed would be by going into the military and that it would help.  So I decided to join the Air Force.  When I went to the recruiting station, the door was locked, so I went into the Marine Corps recruiting station that was nearby.  My strengths met their requirements and I liked what they had to say, so I decided to join.  A month after graduating from high school and taking the Marine Corps exam, I was on a plane to Parris Island, SC.  No one in my family knew I had joined.  It was one of those things where I just up and left!”

How Did You Find Hope For The Warriors®?
“I heard about Hope For The Warriors® when I participated in the annual Jacksonville Run For The Warriors® in 2010.”

What Is Your Favorite Part About Being On Team Hope For The Warriors®?
“I love the people.  They are really nice and the staff is fun.   I also like the fact that I get to participate with the warriors and share the experience with them.  It doesn't matter if you have PTSD or mobility issues- it’s not about competition; it’s about finishing the race and the accomplishment.  That’s what I like most.  That’s what it’s all about.”


What Has Been Your Favorite Race You Participated In And Why?
"I like all of them.  Besides competing with the warriors, the people are supportive and it’s about being able to go out there and do something after being told you aren't able to.”

What Would You Say To Other Wounded Warriors Interested In Joining The Team?
"Team Hope For The Warriors® events give hope to the participants. If you can get out there and do it, then go for it.  Do it in order to feel the excitement, to feel the accomplishment you haven’t been able to feel in a long time.  Just get out there and do it.  If you suffer from a physical disability, TBI, PTSD- people will not make fun of it.  When you get out there, you will inspire everyone around you.  When I hear the words ‘I can’t it just makes me upset because it is an excuse.”

Dean retired from the US Marine Corps on April 29, and looks forward to cycling in many races with the Team this year.  Next up for Dean is the Snickers Marathon in Albany, GA which will take place on March 3rd. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Looking forward to seeing you on the road!

    -Paul Kelly
    2008 Miles of Hope

    ReplyDelete