Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Community Team Member Highlight: Georgia Rackley

Georgia crossing the finish line at the 2011 Marine Corps Marathon

Hometown: Harrisburg, PA

Occupation: “Professionally, I am a nurse and work as a consultant with a health care consulting firm.”

How Long Have You Been A Hope For The Warriors® Team Member?

“I joined the team two years ago and am excited and honored to make this my third year.”

How Did You Hear About Hope For The Warriors®?  What Inspired You To Join The Team?

“I had been running the Marine Corps Marathon for five years as part of a team for autism research (my younger son has an autism spectrum disorder) but when my older son became a commissioned officer in the Army on graduating from college, I wanted to support a military cause.”

“Although there are several military charity partners affiliated with the Marine Corps Marathon, I researched them through Charity Navigator and Hope for the Warriors® emerged as one of the best in terms of the scope of their programs and the low administrative and fundraising costs. I was not at all surprised but also impressed when Hope for the Warriors® obtained the 4 star rating from Charity Navigator. I want to know that monies raised will get to those who need them.”

 What Has Been Your Favorite Race You Have Ever Ran? Why?

“Every race has its special memories but one comes to mind.   Despite having completed several marathons, and half marathons, I had never done a 5K race so I ran our local Armed Services Day 5K in May 2012.   I never win any races because I am slow and basically aim to just finish-but several days after the race I checked the race results online and found I had won in my age group!  I had to laugh-there are some benefits to getting older and running-the competition lessens!”

 What Is Your Favorite Thing About Being On The Team So Far? 

“Being able to personally meet some of the service members who have benefitted directly by the work of Hope for the Warriors®.  It makes it all worthwhile.”

 What Races Did You Run In 2012?

Harrisburg Armed Services Day 5K
Harrisburg Half-Marathon
Marine Corps Marathon

What races Are On Your Radar For 2013?

“I will definitely do the Armed Services Day 5K , a half-marathon as it fits so well into the marathon training and of course the Marine Corps Marathon.”

Have You Always Been A Runner? Who Or What Inspires You To Run?

“I used to run years ago before I had children.  Then years passed with only running after my children.  In 2004 my younger sister talked me into doing a marathon.”

“I knew however that I would not run for myself-that if I was going to put in the effort it would be for a good cause and at that time my son with autism was presenting enormous challenges so I naturally wanted to support a group focused on autism.”

“Since joining Hope for the Warriors the inspiration to run is all about honoring my son and the thousands of service members and their families who make enormous sacrifices.  I am a proud Blue Star mother so I see myself running on behalf of my very large military family.”

“My son was wounded in a grenade blast in Afghanistan in 2011.  Fortunately, his injuries were not disabling but this incident made me all the more aware of and sensitive to the needs of wounded troops and their families and families of the fallen.”

 What Song On Your Running Playlist Do You Have On Repeat Right Now?

“I have a very eclectic playlist to suit all types of runs-I try to keep things diverse to fight getting in a rut.”

What Motivates You During Your Long Runs?

“Besides the personal benefits from running, hands down, my source of motivation is thinking about my son and other service members.   When my son was deployed, it kept me from any whining too-especially during the summer when some of the runs were incredibly hot and the moment I found myself complaining in my head I would simply think of my son and the troops in the 110+ degree heat with 70+ pounds of gear and all discomfort disappeared!”

“My son who is with the 101st Airborne out of Ft. Campbell returns to Afghanistan this spring-which will give me all the motivation and inspiration I will need heading into the next marathon.”


No comments:

Post a Comment