Friday, February 24, 2012

Handcycling an Ultramarathon?!


Covering 100 miles using only the power of your body – completely unfathomable to most.  Whether on your own two feet, on a bicycle, or even more challenging, by using the arms to power a handcycle the entire route, 100 miles is FAR.  Far even to drive!  We’ve highlighted Tim Scott who completed the Beast Series in 2011.  The series included one full 100-mile ultra...he ran a grand total of 372.45 miles by the end!  I might (just maybe) be able to get that many miles under my belt over several years!  Paul Kelly, our incomparably dedicated handcyclist (also previously highlighted), will be attacking the Graveyard 100 on March 10.   
The Graveyard 100 is two races – 100 miles point-to-point or 100 kilometers – located in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Of course, Paul has committed to the 100 MILE race, and nothing less!  Not only is Paul taking on the enormous task of training and completing an ultra-marathon, he is also one of the few handcyclists to do so.  Several obstacles often discourage or even prohibit handcyclists from participating in such events.  Coming with extensive cycling experience, Paul discussed a few of these with us in addition to his personal take on his cycling and motivation.
PAUL:

"..ultras by their nature, tie up vast resources - particularly roadways and volunteers - for a fairly small number of participants.  Race planners tend
 to route the races off roadways and onto trails where possible. "
Regarding the Graveyard 100:
"The unique thing about the Graveyard 100 is that it is almost all on blacktop. (He is still waiting for confirmation.) If that's the case, the challenge 
for me will be the same as for every other participant: my body.  

A high-level tetra like myself will not only face challenges with the 
strength and endurance that every competitor faces, but will face other
 challenges that my own body imposes, like temperature and the 
environment.  I don't sweat, nor do I make enough body heat to stay warm in 
not-so extreme conditions. "
"So if it is so difficult, why do I do it?  First of all, I once thought that
 my example would inspire some wounded warriors to do more than they thought possible with 
their broken bodies.  Well time and time again, 
I'm the one inspired by them.  

So the answer is simply because I can.  The H4W cause inspires me and I'm a believer that you must push
 yourself harder to know what you can do.
"
Pretty impressive, right? I encourage you to let Paul’s word motivate not only us able-bodied runners but also the handcyclists out there who may be having trouble adjusting. Every day gives the opportunity to challenge your mind and body – like Paul said, you must push yourself harder to know what you can do!
Stay tuned…we’ll be keeping tabs on Paul and his Ultra accomplishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment